Early Southwest Archaeology at Point of Pines Pueblo (AZ)
Published by Arizona State Museum
From 1946 to 1960, in the remote pine country of east-central Arizona, the University of Arizona's Department of Anthropology, under the direction of Dr. Emil W. Haury, operated one of the first archaeological field schools in the nation where hundreds of students were trained in archaeological field work. The school was called the Point of Pines Field School because it was situated and surrounded by significant Mogollon pueblo ruins, the largest being Point of Pines Pueblo. This collection of 39 images from the Arizona State Museum's Photograph Collection documents the daily life of the camp and the early archaeological processes used in their site excavations. Most of the photos presented here were taken during the 1946-1956 period.
Search within the collection: