"Digitization and Digital Exhibits at Your Library"
Training Workshops and Technical Support for Public Librarians
The Mountain West Digital Library (MWDL) is pleased to announce free training opportunities for Utah and Montana public librarians, funded by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. The Digital Public Library of America (DPLA) is working with MWDL to provide digital skills training for public librarians including digitizing, describing, and exhibiting their cultural heritage materials online through DPLA exhibitions (http://dp.la/exhibitions). This training is designed to reach public librarians in libraries with unique local or regional history collections with the desire to share their content with a broader audience. For more information, see the full announcement.
- May 20, 2014, at Utah State Library
- August 28, 2014, at Salt Lake City Public Library
- November 7, 2014 at Montana State Library
To learn more
- Informational Webinar
Learn all about the Public Library Partnerships Project!
Archived webinar available online at The PLP Informational Webinar page.
- DPLA Public Library Partnerships web page for information about the national project
From the first round of PLPP workshop participants:
"I had no clue about any of this. Now I have a basic understanding and am excited to start. Presenters made it easy to understand all that goes into this."
"Gave me a starting point and direction I need to begin"
"Easy to understand, great info"
"It was great realizing how our local collections relate to broader projects like DPLA"
The Public Library Partnerships Project is made possible by funding from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation through a Global Libraries project managed by the Digital Public Library of America. Thank you to the Utah State Library, the Salt Lake City Public Library, and the Montana State Library for partnering with MWDL and DPLA to offer this exciting training opportunity.
- 8:30-9:00 - Refreshments
- 9:00-9:30 - Workshop Introduction
- 9:30-10:00 - Public Library Partnerships Project and the DPLA
- 10:00-10:30 - Mountain West Digital Library and Hosting Hubs
- 10:30-10:45 - 15 minute break
- 10:45-11:30 - Content Selection
- 11:30-12:00 - Rights (DPLA)
- 12-1- LUNCH
- 1:00-1:30 - Rights (part 2)
- 1:30-2:15 Digitization and Working with an MWDL Hub - Hub representatives
- 2:15-2:30 - 15 minute break
- 2:30-3:30 - Metadata
- 3:30-4:00 - Curating Exhibitions
- 4:00-4:30 - Wrap-up and next steps