Pioneers in Your Attic
Preserving the legacy of the overland migration
About Pioneers in Your Attic
The Utah Academic Library Consortium, in conjunction with the Mountain West Digital Library, launched a pioneer legacy digital project in 2013, wherein 19th century overland migration is being examined from every aspect: transportation, trail and camp life, encounters with Native American tribes, diseases, medicine and surgery, politics and government, gold rush, religion, company organization, path finding and, wherever possible, perspectives from multiple viewpoints.
During the summer and fall of 2013, UALC libraries partnered with public libraries, historical societies and cultural heritage institutions to create a region-wide online collection of original pioneer manuscripts that still remain in private hands. These items range from single letters and photographs to diaries and substantial collections of correspondence between pioneers and their families at home. These first-hand accounts, often in fragile or deteriorating condition, are carefully guarded treasures that many families are reluctant to relinquish. By scanning these items and providing online access, the Legacy Project will allow individuals to retain their original items, yet preserve and share the intellectual and historical content of these valuable documents.
For information about setting up pioneer collections for harvest into MWDL, please see "Setting Up a Repository for Harvest."
Take a look at past dates and locations of 2013 scanning events, and check back for 2015-2016 events!
Sponsoring Libraries and Museums
- Brigham Young University - Harold B. Lee Library
- Brigham Young University-Idaho - David O. McKay Library
- Daughters of the Utah Pioneers
- Davis County Library - South Branch (Bountiful)
- Duchesne County (UT) Libraries
- Ephraim City (UT) Public Library
- Grand County (UT) Public Library
- Logan (UT) Library
- Morgan County (UT) Library
- North Logan City (UT) Library
- Provo City (UT) Library
- Price City (UT) Library
- San Juan County (UT) Libraries
- Snow College Libraries
- Sons of the Utah Pioneers
- Southern Utah University - Sherratt Library
- University of Nevada, Reno University Libraries
- University of Nevada, Las Vegas University Libraries
- University of Utah - J. Willard Marriott Library
- Utah State Library Bookmobile Program
- Utah State University - Merrill-Cazier Library
- Utah Valley University Library
- Weber County (UT) Library
- Weber State University - Stewart Library